[X4U] Re: Ambitious DVD Project.

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Thu May 19 07:40:40 PDT 2005

On Thursday, May 19, 2005, at 09:26AM, Craig A. Finseth <fin at finseth.com> wrote:

>   Besides Brett who had the excellent recommendation of going direct
>   to HD. Yet, the telecine house is probably still using a DV camera
>   and whether it is written to tape or hard drive, DV is DV.
>
>While DV = DV, DV != miniDV.  Most consumer-grade stuff is mini-DV.
>
>Going to DV may well be better than DVD (depends on exact equipment).
>But don't expect to play DV on consumer gear.

While we can argue semantics, I did mean what I said.

The research that I have found is this:

Telecine houses (like moviestuff.tv) use DV (whatever, miniDV, DVCAM, DVCPRo, Analog, it really doesn't matter) cameras and record to MiniDV tape/HD. For marketing purposes - i.e. for what their customers can use, they provide *MiniDV*.

Some advertise the ability to go directly to DVD.

My recommendation is not to go to DVD.

My recommedation is to have them record to and to send a MiniDV tape. So that consumers of their service can actually use what they produce.

You can argue all day long about how $100k cameras don't shoot in MiniDV. It doesn't matter.

Consumer MiniDV is still compressed less than consumer DVD.

If someone wants to edit 8mm film that has been converted to digital - using some sort of digital/analog camera converting to some sort of DV, using either the camera or some analog to digital converter - their best bet for maintaining quality is to get the digitized film on MiniDV tape.

Again, prove me wrong.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com