[X4U] Re: Ambitious DVD Project.

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu May 19 08:09:04 PDT 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 9:40 AM, Nick Scalise wrote:

> My recommendation is not to go to DVD.
>
> My recommedation is to have them record to and to send a MiniDV tape.
> So that consumers of their service can actually use what they produce.

My assumption was that most places digitized to DV. What I would think
the original poster would want is a direct copy of the originally
digitized data. Any encoding/transcoding done after the initial
digitization is going to decrease the quality of the video. Either
splitting the DV across several "data" DVD's or copying directly to an
external hard drive supplied by the customer would work.

If you have the Telecine house encode the DV to mpeg2 to burn to a
video DVD, you not only lose quality, you lose the ability to edit the
video easily. I think that's basically what Nick (and i) am trying to
say.

Since the original poster wants to edit video and create DVD's using
iLife 05, getting the video in DV would be the optimal solution. If
they receive the video in any other format, it will have to be
converted to DV before editing, then converted again for the DVD. Both
steps will be lossy.

-Mike