[X4U] Re: OT- PAL Video

Neil Lists at mac.com
Thu May 19 21:51:47 PDT 2005

on 5/3/05 8:30 PM, Dennis R. Cohen wrote:

> On 5/3/05 at 3:38 PM, Neil <Lists at mac.com> transmitted the following
> electronic message:
>

>> I'm thinking of getting some VHS videos, but they are in PAL format.
>> The Miglia Alchemy video capture card supports PAL, but would I need a
>> special VCR to play them?  Thanks.
>>

> The answer to that is a definite "maybe" :)
>
> Many (most) VCRs and DVD players sold in the US in the past few years
> are capable of playing both PAL and NTSC. Similarly, most (but not all)
> recent TVs are capable of playing both formats. The only way to tell is
> to check the user manual for your model(s) and/or the manufacturers' Web
> sites. For example, all three of my TVs play both, all my DVD players
> play both, and all but one of my VCRs (the GE) play both.

Well, I guess I'm just unlucky.  I bought a Panasonic VCR at BestBuy a
couple months ago and it doesn't seem to play the PAL VHS tape.  About five
years ago I bought a top of the line Toshiba with six heads, 19micron, but
the manual says only NTSC.  So, can you suggest any specific brands/models
that I should buy?