[X4U] Re: OT- PAL Video

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Tue May 3 17:30:30 PDT 2005

On 5/3/05 at 3:38 PM, Neil <Lists at mac.com> transmitted the following
electronic message:

>I'm thinking of getting some VHS videos, but they are in PAL format.
>The Miglia Alchemy video capture card supports PAL, but would I need a
>special VCR to play them?  Thanks.

The answer to that is a definite "maybe" :)

Many (most) VCRs and DVD players sold in the US in the past few years
are capable of playing both PAL and NTSC. Similarly, most (but not all)
recent TVs are capable of playing both formats. The only way to tell is
to check the user manual for your model(s) and/or the manufacturers' Web
sites. For example, all three of my TVs play both, all my DVD players
play both, and all but one of my VCRs (the GE) play both.

--
Dennis R. Cohen
The Xcode 2 Book