[X4U] QuickTime 7 and PRO; any reviews in from listers?

Wayne Clodfelter wayne at troutnc.com
Fri May 20 06:45:25 PDT 2005

I won't be going to Tiger any time soon, but I am considering QT7.
However I wonder how much benefit there really is in upgrading.

Does QT 7 now play any movie formats it did not play in its 6
incarnation? I'll be surprised if it offers any advances in this area.
What good will 7 do me when I have to use vlc to play the movies in the
first place? And if vlc or mplayer can play them, why has Apple not
rolled them in to QT?

H.264. Fantastic, right? But where is the H.264 content coming from? Do
we have to encode our own?
How much is available now?

I'm inclined to install QT 7, but will I miss PRO if I don't purchase
another license. I've already purchased it two or three times (I lose
count). And if I do purchase PRO, what will it really buy me?

I'd appreciate hearing from those who have already experienced the
wonder that is QT 7, plain or PRO.
Thanks.

Regards,

Wayne Clodfelter