[X4U] Partitioning question

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue May 24 03:06:29 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 02:41:23AM CDT, Kirk McElhearn <kirklists at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
:
: On May 24, 2005, at 9:36 AM, Eugene wrote:
:
: >Unless you plan to have multiple boot volumes, there's little point in
: >partitioning in the OS X world.
:
: I disagree. If you want to back up files to the same disk, it's
: better to have a different partition.

What does "better" mean?  The only thing I can think of is the case of
backup tools preferring to back up files to a logical volume than to a
folder.

: Also, I have all my music files
: on a separate partition; saves space when I back up my home folder.

I haven't checked, but I don't think there's much space savings at all
unless the hard drive being partitioned is really large (e.g. 200+ GB).
Even so, what exactly are the space savings under HFS+, if any, and is
it really significant enough to justify the effort to partition a
physical drive?

Just my two cents.  I don't have a strong feelings for any side of this
particular discussion.  Whatever works.  :-)

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/