[X4U] Partitioning question

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Tue May 24 03:17:17 PDT 2005

On May 24, 2005, at 12:06 PM, Eugene wrote:

> : >Unless you plan to have multiple boot volumes, there's little
> point in
> : >partitioning in the OS X world.
> :
> : I disagree. If you want to back up files to the same disk, it's
> : better to have a different partition.
>
> What does "better" mean?  The only thing I can think of is the case of
> backup tools preferring to back up files to a logical volume than to a
> folder.

Better in the sense of not having a backup folder on the boot volume,
which would have to be (for permissions reasons) either in my home
folder, or at the root level of the volume (and in the latter case,
there can be permissions problems as well).

> : Also, I have all my music files
> : on a separate partition; saves space when I back up my home folder.
>
> I haven't checked, but I don't think there's much space savings at all
> unless the hard drive being partitioned is really large (e.g. 200+
> GB).
> Even so, what exactly are the space savings under HFS+, if any, and is
> it really significant enough to justify the effort to partition a
> physical drive?

I mean that I back up 1 GB of files from my home folder, rather than
40 GB of files and music files. So I can back up my home folder to
smaller media, such as DVDs, as well as to another disk or partition.

> Just my two cents.  I don't have a strong feelings for any side of
> this
> particular discussion.  Whatever works.  :-)

Yep. Same here.

Kirk

       Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France