[X4U] OT-backup suggestions for a business

keithw keith_w at dslextreme.com
Tue May 24 03:49:08 PDT 2005

Zane H. Healy wrote:

>> So what suggestions do you all have on both media and software (PC
>> unfortunately).
>
> I'd normally recommend some sort of DLT drive, however, in this case
> it seems like that would be overkill.  with only about 9GB of data a
> day, something like a 4mm DDS3 or DDS4 drive is probably the way to
> go.  He'll want to be sure he periodically replaces the tapes.
>
> The fireproof safe you mention really won't do anything for the
> backups other than provide security.  If there is a fire, any backup
> media in the safe is toast.

Never thought of it, because I don't have that need... but ~ you're
right. As I recall, "fireproof" safe technology stopped at making sure
the inside of the safe didn't get quite as hot as the ignition
temperature of paper (something around 400 deg. F, as I recall) over
some period of time.
I suppose all recording media would indeed be compromised at those
temperatures.

Seems to me the best bet for saving "calamity" copies would be a bank
safe deposit scheme.

keith whaley