[X4U] OT-backup suggestions for a business

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue May 24 11:21:39 PDT 2005

> Never thought of it, because I don't have that need... but ~ you're
> right. As I recall, "fireproof" safe technology stopped at making sure
> the inside of the safe didn't get quite as hot as the ignition
> temperature of paper (something around 400 deg. F, as I recall) over
> some period of time.
> I suppose all recording media would indeed be compromised at those
> temperatures.
>
> Seems to me the best bet for saving "calamity" copies would be a bank
> safe deposit scheme.
>
> keith whaley

Tapes are *very* picky about optimum storage conditions.  To the point where
realistically they should be sitting near the drive you're going to be using
them in for about a day.  Plus they should be kept at under 70F, and I think
about 50% humidity.  Depending on the type of tapes, you'll want to
investigate what is considered to be the optimum storage conditions.

OTOH, since the data is only needed for 7 days, normal storage conditions
are less important than if you have to worry about storing tapes for years
like I do.

		Zane