[X4U] Re: Why Tiger

George Harvey gwil3 at charter.net
Wed May 25 16:59:25 PDT 2005

I like many things about it better than Jaguar. It is faster for most
of my work. It is better for Mariner Write, GraphicConverter,
Ultralingua, Mellel and OmniGraffle, for example. Safari now works
better than most other browsers except for OmniWeb which is far the
best, but which needs updating because it cannot handle things such
as downloads from PubMed properly.

However, Spotlight cannot find files that I am sure that I have. For
those, I had to go back to Panther and do the older find, which
worked fast and efficiently. The only way to get practically instant
finding among  millions of files is by use of an indexed system such
as is used for Spotlight. Spotlight can be very fast sometimes if I
paste the search word in the find-window. If I am impatient, and
don't want to spend the time to type and paste, I habitually try
command + F and Spotlight begins instantly to search everywhere. Even
though I type as fast as I can, it usually does this on the first
character I type. Everything then has to wait until Spotlight
discovers the second character, then wait until it discovers the
third one and so on. EasyFind is a much better solution if I know
what folder or drive contains what I want. Using the Spotlight icon
works better sometimes, but Spotlight starts looking instantly
without knowing what I am after, and when I finish typing in the
search string it finds far too many things I don't want. For example,
looking up casting retrieves Kai Lung's Golden Hours at the topmost
hit which then superseded by Wired eBay. Spotlight is the main
drawback in Tiger. Of course programs that are not kept up to date
often have their own problems.

On the whole, Tiger is well worth the cost and time because of its
speed and the way it works with the latest version of QuickTime Pro.
Sherlock works quite a bit faster also, which makes it more useful. I
have Jaguar on my main hard drive, but I use Tiger, which is on a
FireWire drive much more often, especially for e-mail, writing long
documents, and for Web searches.

George Harvey