[X4U] why Tiger?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed May 25 16:45:27 PDT 2005

On 05/25/05, Wayne Clodfelter <wayne at troutnc.com> wrote:

> I am curious as to why there seem to be many X users that, excuse the
> expression, blindly leap into the next incarnation of OS X even if it
> does not appear to be a step forward? Such as Tiger.

Why not?

> What exactly is it
> that Tiger is supposed to accomplish as far as moving forward with a
> fast, sleek, secure operating system? I have reviewed the "features"
> offered by Tiger, and I fail to see any significant improvement in
> performance.

To each his own conclusion-you've already decided there aren't any
improvements. Start with
<http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars>. There are many,
beneath-the-hood improvements, even if the eye-candy doesn't appeal to you.

> In fact, all I see is some "gussy-ing up" with
> knick-knacks that seem to only serve to bog down the OS and the user
> experience. What am I missing?
> My concern is that if we Mac users blindly jump on sub-par updates,
> that is all we will get. I think the Mac world would be better served,
> and that Apple's future would be better secured if we are a little more
> particular about what we accept as upgrades to our Mac operating
> systems.

You assume too much and have predisposed conclusions. Why do you think
upgrading is "blindly" jumping in? Your choice to upgrade or not-no one's
holding a gun to your head and making you do it.

> I liked Jaguar, and I like Panther better than Jaguar. Does any Tiger
> user like it better than they liked Panther? Why?

 If you were happy with Jaguar, why did you switch to Panther? Use the same
decision process to decide whether or not you want to go from Panther to
Tiger.