[X4U] Transferring OS 9.22 to another partition...

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Wed May 25 18:03:01 PDT 2005

That depends.... I've moved many OS9 users over to new Macs and simply
dragged their Files/Folders over (including the OS). As a practice I would
keep the partition names the same as before but the operators would often
still have to re-create aliases and their Quark files would most often
need their links re-established. I think most often their Launcher items
wouldn't work (which are no more than aliases).

This has lead me to believe that perhaps more than just the file path
(name structure) is being used with either aliases or Quark links.

Why it works some times and not others I don't know... perhaps it also has
something to do with the OS9 hidden file "Rename and Move" or whatever
it's called. If a folder is moved it is recorded in this hidden file.
That's why, when you move a folder (within the same partition), Quark can
still find the links. You have to move images out into a completely
different folder for the links to be broken.

Anyway, I'm rambling... as usual... so I'll leave it there.

Coj

John Baltutis <baltwo at san.rr.com>

> -  I know that simply dragging the entire system to a different
partition
> could screw up the alias relationships ... Right?

Wrong.

> Q: -  is it true that if I did drag the entire system 9.22 to a
different
> partition - and then named that partition exactly like the old partition
> name ( and changed the old one to something else) -   Would this
preserve
> the system alias relationships?

Not required.