[X4U] why Tiger?

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Wed May 25 17:08:15 PDT 2005

At 18:47 -0400 5/25/05, Wayne Clodfelter wrote:
>I am curious as to why there seem to be many X users that, excuse the expression, blindly leap into the next incarnation of OS X even if it does not appear to be a step forward?

I jumped to install Tiger because I really thought that some of the bugs I reported MUST have been fixed. The idea of an X11 that really worked was a consideration.

I have since removed 10.4 because it will not file share with my SE/30 file server with its RS422 serial ports for data collection. But I did have time to find that none of my complaints had been addressed.

I thought the graphing calculator would be nice but it simply crashes on my AGP G4 with its four ATI monitors. I suspect it's a Quartz Extreme problem but Apple hasn't replied to my bug report. On a G3 Pismo I do find that it calculates (y =  -x^2  )properly. That's better than Excel and AppleScript.

Automator had the promise of Macromaker - remember that?. But after you create an automator script you simply cannot go back and tweak it with something like the AppleScript editor. No editing allowed. Imagine that restriction applied to Excel's internally recorded macros.

When I want entertainment I step away from my computers. I don't think Steve and Bill see my kind as a profit center.

Prepared on an 8500 running 9.1. Panther is six feet away - idle.
--

Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, but not thoroughly, thought through.