[X4U] Re: X4U Why tiger?

wjsjlauffen at t-online.de wjsjlauffen at t-online.de
Wed May 25 22:18:20 PDT 2005

Wayne: <In fact, all I see is some "gussy-ing up" with
<knick-knacks that seem to only serve to bog down the OS and the user
<experience. What am I missing?

if nothing else, "spotlight"

I am running 10.4.1 on my BWG3 with Sonnet 733 G4 card and 640mb ram.
I  just updated, no archive and install, no nothing. I have always
updated like that since who knows when (OS6....) and have never ever
had any trouble on that account. Least of all with X in all it previous
incarnations and none with Tiger.

I could turn the question around: why not Tiger?
It seems to be faster, the finder definitely is. And if it is faster,
it is probably also sleeker in programming terms, thus less prone to
fouling up and needing less hardware resources.
As already mentioned, Spotlight is magnificent, even on my aged box.
Dashboard is fun, too. Is it necessary? No, probably not, but by that
token neither is a GUI, why not just work from command line?

regards, Bill