[X4U] Using external HDD

keithw keith_w at dslextreme.com
Thu May 26 09:10:15 PDT 2005

Neil Laubenthal wrote:

> At 05:52 -0400  on 5/26/05, DZ-Jay wrote:
>
>> Thank you, Alex.  One last thing.  The "FAQ" that came with this
>> particular drive, says:
>>     Q. "Can I partition my external drive?"
>>     A. "Not recommended."
>> Any particular reason this is so?  My apologies if all my questions
>> seem so stupid; I feel like such a n00b asking questions in this forum
>> because the Mac environment is so alien to me.  The truth is that I am
>> an experienced UNIX/Linux user who's been trapped in Windoze for the
>> last few years, so I won't shy away from technical explanations.

> Sure . . . just partition as you like with Disk Utility. No reason not
> to do so with a Mac.

With all due respect, Neil, if I were dz-jay, I'd get some more dialog
from whoever wrote the FAQ he quotes, to see why it was not recommended.
May be they DID have a reason...we just don't know what it is.
After all, it IS their drive.
If the manufacturer says "No," it's likely there's a reason...I'd sure
hesitate before throwing caution to the winds!

keith whaley