[X4U] Linksys

John Bryan johnbryan at mac.com
Thu May 26 18:55:39 PDT 2005

Well, I won't buy one next time.  It may not be the product's fault,
but I have not been able to come up with any other reason, after many
trials.  Note this is not a wireless router.

I wanted a Netgear but Fry's didn't have one, and the wife^H^H^H^H
finance committee had just approved the purchase, and I needed to
act.  So I got a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router Model BEFSR41.
Linksys seemed to be popular so I figured it was ok.  (I know, I
know, don't remind me....that illogic has resulted in well known, um,
situations).  This is a router with 4 ports.

I will give you a more detailed accounting of my experience off-list
if you like, (or anyone else), but bottom line is that the thing does
function -- just not well.  And by "not well" I mean web pages take
forever to load, and images may or may not load at all unless you
force load them.  I mean, it is unusable.  I have tried several times
over the past year, the last one being more thorough and exhaustive,
and have given up, with the router going back to the closet and the
Cube acting as local internet gateway and DHCP server.

The firmware on the router is up to date.  I've diddled with the MTS
values and also left them at default.  Tried static and dynamic local
routing.  Tried having it do the DHCP for every box on the network,
or assign locally static IPs manually.  I am convinced I have tried
everything and the results are always the same.  Whether I am running
OmniWeb, Safari, or IE on OS X 10.2, or .3, or .4, or OS 9.1, or IE
or Firefox on Win98, (didn't get around to trying RH//Fedora Core
Linux).  Linksys support wasn't much help other than to say "it
should work".

Nothing seemed to help.

I get MUCH better performance when I let one Mac, either the Cube
using Internet Sharing, or an old Quadra 610 with IP NetRouter.  I
just don't understand why I am getting crap performance (with images
especially, just normal images on normal websites) with dedicated
hardware, and good to decent performance with software solutions.

I thought maybe this router is defective, but I have had it more than
a year, so I guess I'll have to eat it.  I might try it at someone
else's house and see if it acts the same.  I might borrow someone
else's known good router and see if it improves.  But I don't now
have confidence in this product.

Sorry, I've gone and rambled anyway.  Of course YMMV.

jb