[X4U] (no subject)

Roy van der Westhuizen roy at ion.co.za
Fri May 27 02:47:40 PDT 2005

On May 27, 2005, at 11:16 AM, Roy van der Westhuizen wrote:

>> After hassles and major expense with ISDN, I acquired a satellite
>> ADSL, cheap version giving me 256 up and 64k down. Of course I find
>> the speed heavenly, but then a one eyed man...
>> Question is, can I operate a iSight on it or is the bandwidth too
>> slow? The Johannesburg Apple store were of the opinion I could.
>>

> Yes, you can. I'd suggest limiting bandwidth to 200 kpbs in iChat;
> you don't want it to try and use all your bandwidth.
>
> This said, you must have 256 k up and 64 K down, since upload speed
> is always higher than download.
>

> Kirk

Thanks Kirk, but now I am confused as I was of the opinion that it is
the downstream speed which is the higher. I note that I dl at speeds
of 32 kbps or more. The following is from the telkom.co.za site
relating to "Spacestream"

Downstream speeds up to 512Kbps, starting at 64Kbps
Upstream speeds up 128Kbps, starting at 16Kbps
(Mine being the "cheap 256 and 64 packet costing "only" $300/month!).

This raises another question, will my communication be limited to
voice or be okay for visuals?
And another comes to my. How will I communicate with those poor
benighted souls who have PC's?

Regards,

Roy