[X4U] Setting up WPA?

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sat May 28 20:37:58 PDT 2005

On May 28, 2005, at 4:28 pm, Rad Craig wrote:

> I would like to turn on the encryption, but can't find anywhere in
> OSX.4.1 to setup the keys.  How is this done?
> ... I can configure the router via a web browser from any machine

Simply set the encryption on the wireless router and the next time you
connect to the network, OS X will ask for the key. I usually switch off
Airport on the Mac before enabling WEP encryption, then switch it back
on & choose the network. The key will subsequently be stored in your
keychain.

> I upgraded my router (firmware) and the USR wireless card in my
> Thinkpad last night and now they both have WPA capability (and
> 125Mbps).  I would much rather have this than WEP,

WPA is better than WEP provided, I think, you use a long non-dictionary
password. I read a while back that its in fact easy enough to set WPA
encryption to be less secure than WEP. 125Mbps wireless is not a
standard.

Stroller.