[X4U] disk warrior and unix commands

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Sun May 29 01:10:09 PDT 2005

>From: spoonbender <chronos326 at earthlink.net>
>Hi all,
>I have a question, I understand there are unix commands you can use
>that do exactly the samething as diskwarrior. I.e.- rebuild the
>startup volume on your mac and check the for errors etc. Would anyone
>care to share their knowledge ?
>Thanx,
>spoonbender...

DiskWarrior rebuilds the main directory of HFS+ filesystems. Other
Unix systems don't use HFS+ so there are no Unix HFS+utilities.

Unix filesystems are very much more robust than HFS+. I havn't heard
of a Unix filesystem corruption that's not related to external events
for years. Unix uses 'static' filesystems, in that the only changes
to the disc are as a direct result of data movement. HFS+ is tree
structured and the trees are dynamically balanced, so there's a lot
more going on.

(The HFS used on HP-UX is a different filesystem altogether unrelated
to Apple's HFS.)

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk