[X4U] Tiger: random kernel panics

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Sun May 29 04:42:03 PDT 2005

On May 28, 2005, at 18:45, Alex wrote:

> On May 28, 2005, at 18:12, DZ-Jay wrote:
>
>> I don't know what it is that you suggest I should check.
>
> Is the correct modem script chosen? If your ISP does not provide V92
> compatibility, have you checked that you're using the V90 script?

I suppose you mean in the Network|Modem properties, where it says
"Modem:"? It has "Apple Internal 56k Modem (v.92), the same as the
MacMini.  I don't think this should be a factor, since if the modem
cannot connect using v.92, it should continue trying previous standards
that it support until one is found that is common to both ends.  AFAIK,
the internal modem supports v.92/90/34.  Besides, at the momemt of
establishing modem protocol, no PPP is being used yet.

>> all the PPP settings are left as "default", and my other computer (a
>> MacMini), doesn't seem to have any problems
>
> Different Mac -- possibly, different modem. You should also check your
> ppp.log for any clues.

That I did, but it wasn't very helpful, in that it only reflected that
the connection was lost or dropped.  But at the times that it crashes
while using the computer, nothing is added the to log -- apparently it
panics before the connection has a chance to drop.

That said, I am really keen on holding the 10.4.1 update as a suspect,
since I have already used the computer for about 24 hours since I
re-installed the system (without the updates) and not a single crash so
far.  The computer has gone through all the motions it did before that
"caused" it to crash:  Going to sleep, wake up, screensaver kick in,
all the time while staying connected to the Internet via dial-up.

Does anybody know of any issues between 10.4.1 and the ppp kernel
module?

	Thanx, Alex, for your help :)
	dZ.