[X4U] Tiger: random kernel panics

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Sun May 29 05:27:59 PDT 2005

On May 29, 2005, at 07:42, DZ-Jay wrote:

> It has "Apple Internal 56k Modem (v.92), the same as the MacMini.  I
> don't think this should be a factor, since if the modem cannot connect
> using v.92, it should continue trying previous standards that it
> support until one is found that is common to both ends.

It's not that simple. First, V.92 is a little more complex [1]. Second,
much may depend on what the modem script actually does and what init
strings is using (if you're a CCL expert, you can check it yourself
with a text editor). If your ISP does not specifically offer V.92
service, you should use the V.90 script.

> at the momemt of establishing modem protocol, no PPP is being used yet.

Again, it's not that simple. First, we don't know that it's the PPP NKE
which causes the problem -- that's an assumption. Second, the modem is
actually a "softmodem", the Mac equivalent of a Winmodem [2]. So it's
entirely possible for an error during intialization or handshake stages
to cause it to hang later and lead to a KP.

> I am really keen on holding the 10.4.1 update as a suspect

That's a possibility, of course. Have you checked the usual places? I
don't recall seeing this kind of problem reported. But, if the update
caused it, it may still be that it caused it by changing or updating
the modem script, or introducing NKE changes that make some setting on
your machine not work well with your ISP. So it's still something you
want to look into.

[1] See <http://www.v92.com/about/> for details.
[2] See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winmodem>.

<0x0192>