[X4U] Tiger: random kernel panics

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Sun May 29 06:45:00 PDT 2005

On May 29, 2005, at 08:27, Alex wrote:
> It's not that simple. First, V.92 is a little more complex [1].
> Second, much may depend on what the modem script actually does and
> what init strings is using (if you're a CCL expert, you can check it
> yourself with a text editor). If your ISP does not specifically offer
> V.92 service, you should use the V.90 script.

I wouldn't call myself a 'CCL expert', but I know my way around the
UNIX environment.  However, the Mac environment is alien to me, so
where would I find the modem scripts?

> Again, it's not that simple. First, we don't know that it's the PPP
> NKE which causes the problem -- that's an assumption. Second, the
> modem is actually a "softmodem", the Mac equivalent of a Winmodem [2].
> So it's entirely possible for an error during intialization or
> handshake stages to cause it to hang later and lead to a KP.

Although I agree that anything is quite possible, given enough
probability, I suspect that this is a red herring (I could be wrong, of
course).  Like I have mentioned before, I am becoming more and more
convinced that the problem lies in the 10.4.1 update; I have already
erase/installed the system 3 times, and restored some of my preferences
and configured the system to my liking, yet this last time I did not
install the 10.4.1 update, so in a very empirical way, that is the only
difference to the previous installations -- and it hasn't crashed once
while performing exactly the same operations as before.  In the
previous 2 installations, I was not able to reproduce the problem at
will, but it *did* occur in a more or less reliable way after certain
events, mainly going to sleep and waking up.  It certainly occurred
more than once in a 24 hour period.

I will, though, for the sake of thoroughness, play with the modem
scripts, just to not leave any stones unturned.

>> I am really keen on holding the 10.4.1 update as a suspect
>
> That's a possibility, of course. Have you checked the usual places? I
> don't recall seeing this kind of problem reported. But, if the update
> caused it, it may still be that it caused it by changing or updating
> the modem script, or introducing NKE changes that make some setting on
> your machine not work well with your ISP. So it's still something you
> want to look into.

Being new to the Mac community, I'm not sure I know all "the usual
places", but I have certainly looked in obvious places like some Mac
discussion groups, the Apple.com knowledge base (or whatever its
called), and just general googling.  Like you, I have not found
anything on the subject.  And, according to the 10.4.1 update article,
it doesn't seem to have any changes in the PPP module, although it
mentions some unrelated Networking changes.  I even contacted Apple
support and they referred my case to an "engineer" (whatever that
means) and will get back to me some other day.  But I'm not holding my
breath on that one, since the technician didn't even seem interested in
getting a copy of the panic.log.

Do you know if there is a way to rollback an installed update?  What I
would like to do is install the 10.4.1 update, then go through
different modem scripts or other configuration changes to try to
isolate and reproduce the problem, but erase/install the system is
taking way too long in between for my taste.

	Thanx again!
	dZ.