[X4U] Tiger: random kernel panics

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Sun May 29 07:26:33 PDT 2005

On May 29, 2005, at 09:45, DZ-Jay wrote:

> I wouldn't call myself a 'CCL expert', but I know my way around the
> UNIX environment.  However, the Mac environment is alien to me, so
> where would I find the modem scripts?

/Library/Modem\ Scripts
/System/Library/Modem\ Scripts

CCL (connection control language) is Apple's programming language for
modems, etc. I used to have a reference for it, but I can't find it any
longer. It's not too complicated, and you can figure out how it works
by examining a couple of scripts.

>> it's entirely possible for an error during intialization or handshake
>> stages to cause it to hang later and lead to a KP.
>
> Although I agree that anything is quite possible, given enough
> probability, I suspect that this is a red herring (I could be wrong,
> of course).

Given the way Mac OS X handles modems, I find it at least possible, if
not probable. But, of course, each one of us is entitled to his own
opinion.

> I'm not sure I know all "the usual places"

Macintouch, Apple discussion boards, etc. I haven't searched, but I
don't recall seeing anything like this in RSS feeds.

> Do you know if there is a way to rollback an installed update?

Not to my knowledge. But it's not too difficult to get a list of files
from the update package, or to unpack the update (with Pacifist or
unpkg) and examine the updates themselves.

<0x0192>