[X4U] Network locations question

Paul pwblackb at uc.cl
Wed Oct 19 05:17:33 PDT 2005

Hi everyone.

It's been a while since I posted to this list, probably a few years.
I found much help here when I started using OS X, but as time went
by, I found I could fend for myself on most issues. But now I have a
new iBook G4 1.42 GHz 14" and I am not only using new corners of the
OS that I hadn't before,  but I'm also learning about an entirely new
set of technology: WiFi.

My first question concerns my at-home local network and the Network
System Prefs pane.

I have a cable modem coming into an ethernet hub, which fans out to
the eMac downstairs and two cables in my room upstairs (desk + bed)
for the iBook. The eMac is set up with Brickhouse so as to share the
internet connection with my iBook. This is because I am using the
same interface to share the connection on the eMac, and OS X's built-
in internet sharing option has DHCP enabled, no matter what, possibly
creating a problem for the rest of my cable network. Better safe than
sorry.

At university, I have a static IP assigned, along with a valid
hostname. I have a Location for the uni and a Location for my home
setup.

The problem is that I am not allowed to set my iBook's name in the
Sharing pane as I want it: kasumi.local instead of kasumi-2.local,
which I am forced to do, since the prefs pane tells me that there is
another computer using the name kasumi.local on the network. What
might I be missing here? The eMac is obviously not called kasumi.

Thanks in advance.

Paul