[X4U] Re: Lack of sleep

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Sep 2 13:04:42 PDT 2005

Customers that are burned tend to jump ship.  When you have specialized
processes that depend on a certain piece that is suddenly no longer
available you have a problem.  If you have to rework both ends of the
process, this means added time and money, and switching to Linux is a
possible solution, especially if you can get pieces to the puzzle that are
otherwise missing.

> FWIW there's an app out there that is supposed to make NFS on mac easier.
> I haven't tried it myself, I think I saw it on versiontracker

I think I know the one you're talking about.  Basically it's the only
practical way to do anything NFS related on the Mac.  Apple seems to have
gone out of their way to make NFS impractical to use on the Mac.
Unfortunatly the problem that myself and quite a few other people are having
is that they seem to be handling the protocol improperly.  Every other Unix
variant that I'm aware of can talk to an OpenVMS server running NFS (I've
personally used Linux, OpenBSD, Solaris and IRIX to talk to one), the
only one that can't is Mac OS X.

	Zane