[X4U] iChat, iSight Problems

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Tue Sep 13 14:46:42 PDT 2005

On Sep 13, 2005, at 14:40, Craig Hoffman wrote:

> Has anyone experienced any iSight / iChat problems?

Yes!

> My brother-in-law tried to video chat with me today, I would click
> "Accept"  when an incoming video or voice chat would come in then
> the message would say "Starting video chat with .... " then
> nothing.  It would fail or it would say declined.  I also tried
> starting the chat and had the same results.  However, text chat
> works fine.

Do either one of you have a routable (or public) IP address (i.e. not
in the private address space as defined by RFC 1918)?  I know that in
the past, when I would try iChatting from my home computer (with NAT
on our home network) to my husband on a business trip (also on a
network with NAT), we could not get sound or video to work; text and
file sending worked fine.

When I would try the same test from work with a routable IP on my
computer, the video, audio, and text all worked.  I'm sure there is
some workaround for this, but I've not had enough time/interest to
try to figure out where the issue lies and/or how to fix it.  These
results were true when both of us were on Panther and are still true
even now that I'm on Tiger (he's still on Panther).

--
gretchen