[X4U] How to change a user name and their home directory

Stephen Lanza slanza at ptd.net
Tue Sep 13 17:19:05 PDT 2005

I am setting up a new machine and I have to do some manipulation of users
and their data.

The first thing that I want to do is rename a user on one machine and get
all of their user info, home folder included, to reflect the new name. I
tried to rename the user in the accounts system preference but it would not
let me change the short name. I then tried to rename all relevant info using
NetInfo program but I must have done something wrong as the system froze
upon restart.

Also, I want to move the data for a user to another machine. Is it as simple
as defining a user with the same name on the new machine and then copying
the data to the home directory or is it more involved than that?

Thanks.

Stephen Lanza
Software Complement