[X4U] Option Key sticking (possibly because of VNC)

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Sun Dec 10 20:14:09 PST 2006

Well, I finally got to testing this and found out what the issue is (I
think...).

I tried your suggestion below Phil, but found that I had already activated
ARD's VNC so I stopped the VNC server and had a user connect via Chicken,
which was successful. However, within that one session the Option key
sticking business happened again.

Without restarting the Mac I turned off ARD's VNC access and the keyboard
immediately typed as it should. So with us ARD's VNC seems to have been
causing it. It's been a few days now since it was deactivated and so far
nobody has complained about it.

Many thanks for pointing me in that direction, otherwise I wouldn't have
thought about trying it.

Cheers,

Brett

ps. I vaguely remember activating ARD's VNC at the time I was playing
around with VNC server so that's why I tied the two together... I was in
the right vicinity tho!  8-}

Philip J Robar <philip.robar at gmail.com>
Sent by: x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
29/11/06 11:36 PM
Please respond to
"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [X4U] Option Key sticking (possibly because of VNC)

On Nov 28, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Brett Conlon wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has any ideas... I have a Retrospect Mac
> (G4/533DP) running 10.4 and Retrospect and from time to time the
> Option
> Key sticks, eg. if I close one window, all windows close or if I type
> something in, the option key characters show.
>
> Rebooting fixes it. Previously it was seldom in occurrence but in
> the past
> few days it has been happening each day.
>
> This issue only seemed to show up after I installed VNC Server and the
> designers connected to it via Chicken of the VNC. So I'm assuming
> this has
> something to do with it. No other Mac in the studio has ever displayed
> this issue and no other Mac has ever had the VNC Server installed on
> it.

This might help narrow down the problem: On the server machine, turn
on Apple Remote Desktop in the Sharing Preferences Panel and turn off
VNC Server. Then connect with Chicken of the VNC and see if the
problem goes away. (Apple Remote Desktop is compatible with Chicken of
the VNC. That's how I manage my home server.)

If it does then the problem may be VNC Server, if not then maybe a
keyboard setting in Chicken of the VNC is effecting the server's
settings.

Phil
--
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing."