[X4U] Text Edit shows web code as web PAGE

Craig A. Finseth fin at finseth.com
Sat Jan 7 14:06:50 PST 2006

   I'm using Text Edit to put web pages with CSS together..I have the
   prefs set to save pages as plaintext, but when I save, these text
   files have a Safari icon, and when I re-open them in Text Edit,
   rather than seeing my toiled-over code, I see it as though looking in
   a browser!

A couple of suggestions:

1) Rename the extension to .txt.

2) Change the first line of the file (somehow) so that it doesn't look
like a web page.

The other suggestion about TextWrangler is a good one.

Also:

- NeoOffice/OpenOffice can probably edit the source just fine.

- The built-in emacs and vi editors (access them via Terminal) will
  also edit the source just fine.

Craig