[X4U] "Searching" question under 10.4

Kuestner, Bjoern Bjoern.Kuestner at drkw.com
Wed May 10 05:22:37 PDT 2006

> the first time I looked for it the Find window found it.
> So I tried again to be sure, and it would never find that pref file again!

I have observed similar flaky behavior with Tiger's search.

I used to be confident before Tiger that the result set is exactly according
to my search criteria. Since Tiger I have lost that confidence. Spotlight
and whatever else Apple changed certainly is faster and more powerful. But
there are lots of usability issues. And this unreliable search behavior is a
significant step back.

I am disappointed that since OS X Apple does not improve the OS within a
major version except for mostly hidden bug fixes. Remember 7.1 vs. 7.0? 7.5
vs. 7.1? Then 8.5 vs. 8.0? Apple used to add moderate polish as well and not
just bug fixes, but seems now much more conservative in what they change
within a major release.

Björn