[X4U] Kensington Pilot Bluetooth Mouse Mini disconnects periodically and will not reconnect

John Richardson richards at spawar.navy.mil
Wed May 31 16:20:23 PDT 2006

Hello,

My Bluetooth Mouse powers down after a few minutes of non use. Fine...all
very nice and power conscious. However, I can't use the mouse. I push the
rubber button on the back. Flick the switch on and off.

Example, I turned it over and moved it to the next room to write down the
serial number for this form. It turned itself off and the room is only 30
feet from the Mac mini. The Mac Mini says "connection lost" and no setup
assistant appears. So I have to plug in a wired mouse to set it up again. I
open the Bluetooth preferences with a wired mouse. Then I select the devices
tab. The entry for the mouse says that it is paired but not connected. I
have to set up a new device and it says it will use an empty passcode and
then the mouse is available. Every time I restart the computer this happens
and I need to us a wired mouse to reestablish a connection. It also happens
if I use the wireless mouse and click the disconnect button on the devices
tab.

Is this normal for wireless? The Apple wireless keyboard sometimes will not
be found if it is on when the Macintosh starts or restarts. However, all I
do is turn it off, then back on and the Bluetooth setup assistant finds it
and it mysteriously works after that (until shutdown of course). Many times
I just listen to a CD or watch a DVD for a while and this mouse always loses
it's connection. Any suggestions?

NOTE: Mac OS X 10.4.6; Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 1GB RAM; Kensington
PilotMouse Bluetooth Mini

John F. Richardson