[X4U] fellow luddites?

Neil Lists at mac.com
Fri Nov 17 09:36:17 PST 2006

on 11/17/06 12:27 PM, Philip J Robar wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2006, at 2:06 AM, Geoffrey Loeffler wrote:

>>> look at the people who stayed with OS 9 rather than moving to OS X.
>>
>> ... 3 years of crashing programs, limited program function, when we
>> were promised a full ready to go operating system, updates that
>> messed up everything, lost data and promises not fulfilled...
>
> And of course none of these things were ever a problem with Mac OS. I
> still have nightmares about random system crashes caused by errant
> programs, init and cdev conflicts, no protected memory, limited
> multitasking, etc. Mac OS was not the "good old days."

Stability of the classic Mac O/S was very situationally specific.  I
remember having a certain combination of programs, hardware, and o/s version
that was rock solid.  I updated the o/s and everything suddenly started
crashing.  Another Mac was more stable on a different o/s version.   If you
have a set-up that works for you, there is something to be said for sticking
with what is working.