[X4U] audio midi setup questions

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Mon Oct 16 07:55:14 PDT 2006

Attached to my ppc macmini, I have a Creative Labs 24bit usb soundcard and
Logitech speakers (I think
they are x-530). The speaker system
has front
left, front right, center, left rear and right rear satellites and has a
cable with three plugs on each end--one set plugging into the soundcard
and the other into the subwoofer; these correspond to front left/right,
center/subwoofr, left/right rear. It  also has a piece attached to the
subwoofer with the controls on it. There are also five jacks on the
subwoofer for the five satellites. I have the system up and running and it
sound pretty good but I'm not sure if I have it set up correctly in audio
midi setup.

For one thing, using voiceover since I am blind, following the channel
setup in audio midi setup linearly from left to right doesn't make sense
as it looks like there are in some places two popup menus fr one speaker
test button or vice versa. I've decided that maybe the corresponding popup
menu is actually found by arrowing down from the button label; I'm not
sure if anybody can answer this from a visual point of view. But also I'm
somewhat confused as to which channels I should be assigning. Is there a
rule as to which channel numbers usually apply to the sic channels? while
all my channnels appear to be working, clicking on the buttons in audio
midi setup in some cases gives no response and in others gives response
from more than one speaker. Can anybody tell me what matches I should try
to make?

--
Cheryl