[X4U] Commentary: Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Tue Oct 17 10:31:39 PDT 2006

Michael Winter wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2006, at 10:23 AM, Jan Melichar wrote:
>
>>> And I also agree on being able to see where a URL is pointing.
>>
>> So you know what you are going to get from just seeing a URL?

> Yes. I know that the URL that is supposedly going to show me an article
> at the NY Times actually points to the NY Times web site. I (generally)
> know that its pointing to an html file and not an executable file
> (though one may still be buried in the page).

If it points you to an executable file you STILL have to EXECUTE it to
get in trouble, for Pete's sake! Once you get to the site "buried" in
the TinyURL, it will show itself, and it's up to YOU to know what you're
looking at.

> I'd say one of the basics of safe web surfing is understanding the basic
> composition of a URL, including the type of transfer, the domain of the
> URL, the type of file you expect to recieve, and recognizing when your
> surfing is being re-directed through a 3rd party site. Using tinyURL
> keeps things neat, but it removes a level of safety.
>
> -Mike

I don't think so. The best level of safety is knowing something about
computers and the web. If you receive ANY downloadable file, it's up to
YOU to download it. If you don't like the looks of it, simply don't
download it!
Folks could send you virus-laden files all day long, and if you don't
download or open them, you're safe.
Yeah, I know, there are exceptions, but the general rule is, don't mess
with files from someone you don't know.

If you get bit, chances are 99+% that it was your incaution or ignorance
of 'net rules that got you.

keith whaley