[X4U] Commentary: Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Tue Oct 17 11:08:19 PDT 2006

On Oct 17, 2006, at 12:31 PM, keith_w wrote:

> If you get bit, chances are 99+% that it was your incaution or
> ignorance of 'net rules that got you.

That's pretty much what I'm saying. The first rule is, if you don't
know what it is, don't click on it. With tinyURL you don't really
know what you're clicking on unless you trust the source. And there
are web sites that require no more of the user than to view the web
page with a susceptible system to initiate some nasty side effects
(rare, but they exist -mostly as proof-of-concept pages from what
I've seen).

I don't have a problem with people using tinyURL. Its a good service.
All I'm saying is that for me it raises a caution flag and I need to
know the source before I click.

OK, actually the first rule is more along the lines of remembering
you don't really know who you're communicating with on the internet.
IIRC the vast majority of security breaches boil down to social
engineering.

-Mike