[X4U] Mail.app capacities

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Apr 19 11:33:09 PDT 2007

At 3:11 AM -0700 4/19/07, Ronald Steinke wrote:
>On 18 Apr, 2007, at 11:17 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>>With only 12,596 messages in the one box, and 2727 in the other it
>>is practically paralyzed.  It simply doesn't seem to be able to
>>handle the load.
>
>Why in the world are you leaving so many messages in your mailbox?
>You should set the preferences to remove messages after you read
>them or quit your mail program.

The messages are in folders.  This is for tracking potential security
issues.  Though the one that has 2727 messages is just spam and could
be blown away.  Most of that is thanks to someone spoofing my domain
recently.

>Leaving so much data in the inbox is what is causing your problems.
>If you do some judicious housecleaning, your problem will disappear.

This is just further proof, in my opinion, that Mail.app is only of
use to people with very limited amounts of email.  I have several
*HUNDRED THOUSAND* messages in Eudora, and I normally have about
5,000 in my inbox on one Unix account that I read with 'elm'.

Deleting email is not a solution, it is bandaging the underlying problem.

		Zane