[X4U] Clickable URL's and addresses in emails

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Thu Aug 16 05:32:38 PDT 2007

At 6:24 PM +1100 8/16/07, Brett Conlon wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>My mum is sending out a basic email newsletter for her reborning
>doll business but wants the URL's and her email address to be
>clickable to users with HTML mail clients.
>
>I told her that most clients will simply recognise a URL and a
>mailto:address and make them clickable but she tells me that a
>number of people don't receive them as clickable items and want her
>to make it possible in her newsletters.
>
>Accounting for the fact that they may not have correct clients or
>their settings are incorrect I'm also interested in what is required
>to take this to the next step.

I think the main thing she can do to increase the percentage of
people who see her links as clickable is to enclose them in brackets.
For instance, instead of typing:
http://www.google.com

she would type:

<http://www.google.com>

Beyond that, she would have to send actual html email, and that's
more complicated and also not so nice (people whose clients are not
set to read html email will see a lot of garbage.

Daly