[X4U] UNRECOGNIZABLE DVDS

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Wed Feb 28 06:51:18 PST 2007

On 2/28/07 6:00 AM, Jan Melichar wrote:

> While I can see and use DVD+RW on the mac that created them - in this
> case G5 via Toast - my G4 at the office refuses to acknowledge them.
> Is this because the older drive on the G4 does not recognise RW DVD
> or is there some other glitch operating here?

Not all optical drives can recognize DVDs, and some can recognize DVDs but
not DVD+/-RW. It would depend on what kind of optical drive your G4 has
(what model is it?). If System Profiler doesn't tell you, you can look up
your model at lowendmac.com.

Replacing optical drives in G4 and G5 towers is fairly straightforward, and
replacement optical drives are fairly inexpensive; you could upgrade your
G4's optical drive for less than $100 if it's important to be able to read
and write the DVDs on the G4 as well.