[X4U] Ugly icons and worse

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Mon Nov 26 07:28:57 PST 2007

On 11/26/07 9:09 AM, Jan Melichar wrote:

> Is there any hope and what causes this horror - that is what can I do
> to avoid this happening in the future.

Those are Unix Executable file icons.

I've personally seen this happen to .jpgs that were saved on an OS 9 Mac
*without* the dot-three file extension, and brought over on removable media
(in my case, a Zip disk) and accessed on an OS X computer.

Some people have reported simply being able to add the correct dot-three
suffix to the files. In my case, that didn't work, and I had to put them
back on the OS 9 computer, add the suffix there, and when they came back to
the OS X computer it worked a charm.

You might have luck with a utility such as MacLink Plus that offers the
ability to edit/change/update Type and Creator codes.

My experience was about three years ago; yours is the second time I've read
of this happening recently -- another post on another group less than a week
ago (in that case, it was fonts rather than art).

peace,
Linda