[X4U] Noisy iMac fan

karen spitzer shemoves at mac.com
Tue Nov 27 16:08:06 PST 2007

On 11/27/07 1:36 PM, "Mark Des Cotes" <lists at marksmandesign.ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> An elderly woman I help out from time to time just asked me where she
> could send her G5 iMac for repair. When I asked what the problem was
> she told me the fan on her iMac would rev up so fast that she thought
> the computer would take off. After a minute or so the computer would
> freeze and and she'd be forced to restart it. I told her to hold off
> sending it anywhere until after I checked with this list. Correct me
> if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember discussions regarding noisy fans
> and the fact that the problem was software, and not hardware related.
> Am I correct in my recollection? Was there ever a solution
> discovered? I can't remember if she's running Panther or Tiger. I'm
> going there on Thursday and would like to see if I can fix the
> problem for her.
>
> Mark Des Cotes

I had that problem, I solved it by removing the dust from a small opening in
the back of the iMac. It also collects under the screen in the numerous
openings in the bottom. I was amazed it was such a difference after I did
that.

I shut down the machine and unplugged it before I did the dust sucking with
a plastic covered paperclip.  I'm rather anal/obsessive about static
producing tasks in the dry climate I live in at 7,000 feet.

Hope that's it. karen