[X4U] iMac startup problem

Bill Bauldry BauldryWC at appstate.edu
Wed Jan 23 14:10:19 PST 2008

> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:14:47 +0100
> From: Paul Moortgat <paul.moortgat at pandora.be>
> Subject: Re: [X4U] iMac startup problem
>
> It shows some horizontal colored lines.  I've not seen it myself.  If
> it was the battery, it would refuse to start and not after the 12th
> time.
> When she manage it to work with the iMac, there's not problem anymore
> whatsoever.  She can work for days.
>
> Paul Moortgat

Paul,

Along with a power supply problem, there's a fairly rare condition
(these days) that might be contributing to the problem restarts. As a
hard disk ages, the lubricants in it can break down causing "stick-
tion" -- this an inability to get the platters spinning up from a
stopped condition with the lubricant acting as a break instead.
Hitting it several times in a row may give enough momentum and/or heat
up the lubricant that the drive starts working. The usual fix for
"sticktion" is a new hard drive.

Good luck,
Bill
William C Bauldry, PhD