[X4U] End of the line for PPC support from Apple

Tim Collier tim_collier at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 16 16:50:54 PDT 2008

On 6/16/08 7:28 PM, "Michael Elliott"  wrote an exciting message that when I
read it on 6/16/08 7:28 PM, I became so enthusiastic, I was forced to take
an extra Xanax 1 mg.

> Hi Tim,
>
> Those people will be just fine without buying a new TV.  If they're on
> cable, then no difference.  If they're on over-the-air broadcasts,
> then they'll just need a set-top box to receive the signal on their
> 1982 Zenith Color TV :-)
>
> After hearing my wife curse over and over last night about trying to
> watch the Tonys on our Cox digital cable, I can attest that I have
> seen MUCH more signal issues with digital TV than I ever did with
> regular analog.  No, I couldn't watch an HDTV channel with analog.
> But on our Cox cable in the periphery of their coverage area, we get a
> lot of digital artifacts/garbled audio/frozen video for a half a
> second or so.  I wonder why our digital TV doesn't buffer the signal
> until it's "perfect" before showing it to our screen?  I never get
> digital artifacts with HULU.com
>
> Which brings us back to the original issue of technological progress:
> if it works great for you, then no reason to upgrade :-)
>
> Michael

Thanks Michael:
Yes, I am aware that in February of 2009, you will still be able to view
stations provided they are via cable or any converter box.  That has been
widely publicized and I believe is known by most of the American viewing
audience.
But the issue under discussion was the doubts and fears of those who were
fearing the end of PowerPC support from Apple and then went on to discuss
the iPhone and then the various people were said that they didn't own a cell
phone and were happy about that fact.
Apple no longer supports Macs with the motorola chip, it is a natural
progression, they now use Intel chips so the natural progression would be to
drop support for the IBM based Macs.  This makes perfect sense to me.
As for your last statement "if it works great for you, then no reason to
upgrade", I know that there is a significant number of Mac users who feel
that way and that's their choice.  But, they are also at risk of losing the
ability to use the newer software and hardware, again their choice.
Me, I like to upgrade my Mac about every 12 to 18 months, my choice.

--
Tim Collier
MacBook 2.2 gig 2 gig RAM