[X4U] how to view "pageouts?"

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Wed Jun 18 03:58:59 PDT 2008

Ed Gould wrote:

>Page outs tend to hurt a little, page ins tend to hurt a lot
>If you need a page that has just been paged out the system can be
>sluggish (it depends on which page(s) ) have been paged out.
>I do not know of any MAC tools (there may be some out there but I
>somehow doubt it) that will give you reams of reports. I know one
>manufacture that has a tool but it does not run on a MAC.
>The output of those types of reports are almost endlessly analyzed
>and scrutinized by thousands of math types every day and these types
>are high paid tech types.

I've read several articles about this, this morning. I think actually
it's the reverse of what you wrote: I have concluded that it's the
page outs that produce the sluggish computer and when you have too
many page outs in comparison to the page ins, you should think about
adding RAM.

Here's one place that discusses this at a very light level:

<http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/47648-page-ins-page-outs-could-somebody-please-explain-me-idiot-fashion.html>

Here's a much more in-depth discussion of memory management in OS X
(Apple's "Developer Connection"):
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Performance/Conceptual/ManagingMemory/Articles/AboutMemory.html>

And here again is a "regular human" discussion of the issue:
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/msg/442b0f12dc70dca2>

Daly