[X4U] Freezes, Crashes, Kernel Panics - Oh MY ! ! !

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.com
Tue Jul 7 04:25:08 PDT 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 6:12 PM, J. R. Rosen wrote:

> I am running 10.4.11 on a 2002, Quicksilver 1.0gHz MP - 1.5gb RAM.
> Was having crashes, freezes and kernel panics almost every day, so I
> reinstalled the OS and brought it up to date with all of the proper
> software enhancements from Apple.
>
> I am still having the same problems.  I cannot isolate the sequence,
> otherwise, I wouldn't be writing this.
>
> Is there a known bug of any kind, a virus, or some other anomaly
> anyone knows of that could be causing this?
>
> It will KP with just Apple Mail and Safari open.  It will freeze
> when trying to awaken from sleep.  I'll get the "Killer-Gray-Screen"
> when trying to send an email.
>
> There is no rhyme or reason for any of this!
>
> HELP ! ! !  Any help, suggestions, or comments are appreciated!
>
> J. R. Rosen
> 281-467-5366
> 281-586-9876 (fax)
> jrosen82 at sbcglobal.net

J. R.: from the symptoms, it sounds like there's either a serious hard
disk or motherboard issue at play.

Here are some suggestions.

First, open up the computer and make sure all of the vents are clear
and not blocked with dust. Overheating of the main processor due to
lack of cooling air flow could cause kernel panics. Gently clear out
any dust (do not use a vacuum cleaner, since this can create static
electricity and harm components).

While the machine is open, try reseating the memory sticks. Leave the
machine plugged in (but off) and touch the metal power supply case to
eliminate any static buildup first. Sometimes, faulty memory can cause
crashes. If you have the original OS disks that came with the machine,
try running the hardware tests off the CD and see if everything
passes, including memory.

Also, try resetting the Cuda switch - it's a little push down switch
on the mother board, often colored red.

if you have access to DiskWarrior 4.0, try running it off the CD and
see if that helps. Often, problems on the main hard drive can cause
problems with the OS.

Try installing the most recent version of the Combo Updater for your
OS. That will sometimes resolve stubborn OS issues.

Finally, if you have a spare harddrive, try installing a fresh OS on
it and then swapping it for the second internal drive in your machine
and then booting off of it (hold down the option key on start up and
select the second drive as the boot up drive).

  Good luck.

Jeff

Carruthers Communications                  Tel: 613-278-0390
678 2nd Concession N Sherbrooke     Cell: 613-720-2350
R.R. 1, McDonalds Corners, ON  K0G 1M0   Fax: 613-278-2929
www.carruthers.com                          e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com

"There's no such thing as a dumb question." (Anon)