[X4U] Freezes, Crashes, Kernel Panics - Oh MY ! ! !

Dave Bonhoff 69abel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 04:43:20 PDT 2009

Wow, the list serv is doing a wonderful job of holding messages! I
just received this message and am replying immediately!

J.R.,

The best advice I can give you is to either commit to investing many
hours into testing the machine or to move on - It is a G4 and is
obsolete, move on!

Okay, now that I've said that, and I'm sure I have aggravated a few
people, I have a similar machine that was given to me due to all the
same issues you describe. I have found that it is very finicky about
hardware. RAM, PCI cards, PRAM battery, even hard drives! Also, the
power supplies are a known problem in these machines. I spent weeks
(every evening) testing, re-installing the OS, testing, making
hardware changes, and testing again until I found a hardware
configuration that is stable. I also discovered that it is important
to press the reset button on the main logic board after any hardware
changes with this machine!

I'd suggest removing every non Apple component from the machine,
pressing the reset button, and testing the machine. If it is stable,
add one component back to the machine, press the reset button, and
test again. If it isn't stable in stock form, don't waste any more
time with it. RAM can be particularly frustrating to test as I found
that some sticks will work in certain slots, but cause issues in the
other slots - it makes no sense to me, but that is what I found.

The new Mini's are nice little machines for not much money...

Dave