[X4U] Secret code for printers

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Dec 13 02:59:04 PST 2011

On Dec 13, 2011, at 1:24 AM, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> A repairman here has revealed that printers contain a counter which
> when reached will block the printer.
> He's fired and therefor he revealed the secret on radio.  It's now
> in the newspaper.
> Because it's probably to expensive to repair, people usually buy a
> new printer.
> One has to search the internet to reset the code which will give
> the printer a new life.
> He also did it for iPods.  One need the key combination to unlock
> the device.
> Brother has admitted it, but told reporters that it's for maintenance.
> The local PC Magazine has told that it's also done for the ink
> fillings.

Funny, I have an office full of variously aged Brother printers, and
none has "locked up" yet.  My oldest one is over a decade old.

All Brother printers have a counter that will tell you when the toner
cartridge is empty, and/or when the imaging drum is worn out, and
it's true that their reporting doesn't often coincide with these
consumables actually having reached the end of their life-span, but
both counters can be easily reset.  The sequence to do so isn't
exactly a "code" and is by no means "secret" as it is pretty easy to
find in most Brother user's manuals.

I think that what you heard is simply hyperbole that the
sensationalist media naturally loved.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html