[P1] Woe is me...

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 6 17:07:36 PST 2002

On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 04:37  PM, Eric B. Richardson wrote:

> Which just goes to show that no system is truly redundant if it is not
> backed up off-site as well. That was in my backup 101 lessons, make
> two back-ups and store one somewhere else. What happens if your office
> burns down? Or someone flies a jet into it? It is clear that American
> businesses understood true redundancy or when the WTC went down, a
> number of firms would have lost all their data.

This reminds me, I have a clients Filemaker server making unique back
ups every 30 minutues, 1 save per hour. So we have in effect 112 or so
backup files spread out on two hard drives. I also make a CD-R backup
whenever the mood strikes and give him the disk.

So, the question is, what is the best method for encrypting the data on
the CD or maybe creating a disk image with a password?

To add a bit of data, it took almost 5 minutes to make one backup of
150 Megs of files using a Zip Disk, USB. The same backup takes about 10
seconds to a 7200 rpm ide drive inside the G4 Tower.

---
The US Army is destroying 31,500 tons of nerve agents and highly toxic
blister agents at a projected cost of $24 Billion Dollars. Someone
suggested they could make money selling it on eBay under the Weapons of
Mass Destruction category.
Jack Rodgers

Email: jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Web:  www.jackrodgers.com