Password protection for Macs in Boot ROM of Firmware

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sun Dec 8 08:09:32 PST 2002

To all that are concerned about protection on the mac...

You can password protect any mac by using a Boot ROM password in the
firmware. This will require a password every time the mac boots and will
stop anyone from being able to use the installer CD to gain access as it
will require the password before a cd can be loaded. It also works in OS 9
(obviously)and can be considered the very first line of defence...

I will not post the method in this list but for those interested in how this
works I would consider answering individual mails...

WHY?

I will not be held responsible for the death of many good macs! There is NO
failsafe...if you forget this password or mess up your firmware then the mac
is toast...end of story...(unless you have means to flash new apple ROM!).

Hope this puts some security feeling back into OS X...

BTW, I do not use the password function but it is comforting to know that it
can be done if desired/paranoid enough.

Richard