Semi OT : access iDisk through FTP

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Dec 10 10:54:56 PST 2002

> From: Peter Nacken <caipirina at mac.com>
>
> Which makes me wonder WHY oh WHY !!!  .. Why does apple have an
> "improve
> your iDisk" utility .. Why are they not integrating it into the whole
> thing
> ???

Actually, they did ... but it's still frustratingly slow for dialup
users. Steve Jobs, like every other tech CEO in the country, figured
incorrectly that a much higher percentage of the population would be on
broadband by now. Notice how Software Update thinks nothing of trying
to get you to download 35+MB files on a routine basis.

iDisk is generally acceptable on a cable/DSL connection ... not so
great on dialup. To be blunt, you can expect more of this behaviour in
the future, because the broadband numbers are finally starting to pick
up (which will hopefully lower the cost at some point!).

Mac OS X is very much designed with the future in mind, and that future
doesn't really include dialup. While I'm sure they will continue to
support dialup as long as TCP/IP support is in there (ie for the
foreseeable future), Apple along with most other tech manufacturers
(and AOL, Earthlink, etc) clearly see dialup as the "floppy drive" of
the internet. If you catch my drift.

> But thanks again charles for the heads up

Always my pleasure.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

**Go see BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. It may change your life.**