[P1] iBook Problems

Tim Gilman tgilman at eudaemon.net
Wed Dec 11 09:52:18 PST 2002

>Kim Gammelgård at 12/10/02 (maybe):
>On 10/12/02 1:05, "Eric Schwarz" <schwarztech at jmug.org>
>wrote:
>> Secondly, I am losing sleep over this - recently (since
>> around mid-September), every few weeks, my iBook's boot
>> partition (whether it be the whole drive or 1 partition,
>> depending on how I set it up) gets corrupted so bad
>> (catalog/b-tree/etc) that I have to format that
>> partition and start over.  It only seems to happen in
>> Jaguar (10.2.0, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2), but I haven't been
>> using 10.1 in awhile to know.  >That seems very strange.
>> I have the quite contrary experience. 10.2.2 has by
>
>To me it seems unrelated to the OS.

When I first got my iBook/800/12.1", I bought a 512 MB stick of ram to
make OS X better.  I experienced pretty much the same problems -- disk
corruption, and eventually I couldn't even boot the machine.  This
didn't make me feel so good about 10.2.  Applications would randomly
crash, too.  So I took the RAM back to where I bought and got myself a
different one.  Now my system has been running flawlessly for the past
month.

Also, when I ran Apple's Hardware Test CD against the bad RAM, all the
tests passed.  So, there's obviously some holes in the coverage of the
testing.

=- Tim
tgilman at eudaemon.net